Around this time last year Business Insider did a story looking into the reason why people do not believe climate change is happening. The report states that 25 percent of Americans do not believe that it is occurring. The picture on the right is a pie graph with the various reasons people do not believe climate change is occurring. The biggest reason people stated was that they are not feeling the effects, or that the winters are still extremely cold where they live. In the US most people live in the middle latitudes and away from the coasts. This leaves most people in the US with normal seasonal shifts and rising sea levels have no effect on them. In class we discussed how the regions most effected by recent climate changes are people on the other side of the world. The Americans who do not see this, do not see that it is really happening, or the people who do see it, see it as a local problem not a global event.
The second most popular reason people use to explain why climate change is not an issue, state that the Earth naturally cycles in temperature every few hundred years. These people are right about the Earth having a natural temperature cycle, but they are wrong to think that humans are not influencing it. The picture on the left has graphs in varying sections of the world comparing the natural temperature variations of the earth (the purple line) and the changes as the result of human activity (the pink line). As you can see, the pink line tends to be way above the purple line all around the worlds, so this shows that humans are definitely having an impact on global climate change.
Another reason people stated as an explanations was that they felt that there is divide in the scientific community, and there is not; 97% support it and the other 3% have different theories. Only 4% state religion as a reason, and in class I felt like it was discussed as having a bigger effect on people’s beliefs on climate change than is really the case.